Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Striver Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Seb: In the past 4 months we released a split e.p with Vengeance, being part of the Brink of Doom 4 split e.p boxset, are about to release a split ep with Deboned, just got our album pressed on cd and played the Rrroooaaarrr fest in Montreal (amazing fest check this out)

2.For those that have yet to hear your music how would you describe your musical sound?
Seb: Fast hardcore? Thrashcore? Powerviolence?Crossover?Bits of hardcore, grindcore with sludge influences? Choose your own definition! hahaha

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Cath: Striver has always been an antidote to relief my aggression . Frustration , disgust, hatred, anxiety… Towards human beings, politics, police and struggle of my mind.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Striver'?
Cath: Striver , for about 8 years ago, was very different from what we hear today. Being young and inexperienced in writing: my lyrical words was a bit immature and kind of posi-hardcore : I guess that's what inspired us for our name at the time. We didn't change it because we are not really bothering about this… What we do know is that our musical taste changed dramatically since and way more representative of what we like at the actual time.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
Cath:
I would say that the shows I enjoyed the most were, personally : Chibougamau (Northern Quebec ) , Ottawa , Fredericton, and Trois- Rivières. I hate being on ... the stage. I always perform at ground level with people. This gives a unique experience because when we are filming, for example, we see Jeff, Seb and Math performing up there, and you can hear me ( or not ) on the background. Let's say I like the opportunity to see them play too! I think there is a synergy between us performing and it shows!
Seb: Playing with friends are always the bests shows, we don’t care how many people are attending our shows, we are only here to have some fun. I can describe our performace as loud, fast, short and sweet.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
Not for the moment, we have our day jobs, school, and we all have other bands to take care of...

7.A year ago you had released a split with Vengeance, what are your thoughts on the other band that had participated on the recording?
The split 7’, was released 4 months ago (june 2014)
Seb: We love Vengeance, it’s a perfect match for a split ep, they got that old school vibe that we all share!

8.PRC are re-releasing your 2011 album, can you tell us a little bit more about the contract?
Seb: I know Rémi and Lucie for 10 years now, they released one of my former band (Nourriture),I’ve worked for them on various labels and they helped me started my own label (d7i records). I released Apocalypse Nightmare on lp, made him listen to it, he liked it, make us a great offer but he thought the album was too short, so we added all our 7’’ vinyl releases to add some running time to it! We didn’t have any contract with him, all verbal, we don’t care about all this shit, we trust the guy and that’s it!

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of thrash, crossover and grind?
Seb: We don’t have a huge feedback on worldwide level since we never toured outside Quebec/Ontario/Maritimes, but I do get feedbacks from bands we played with, people I traded records with, they like our sound and drive!

10.When can we expect new material and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
Seb: We don’t even now ourselves haaha!! It’s going to be fast...

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Cath:
It began with bands like Shutdown, Tragedy , Municipal Waste ... I learned a lot of musical genres since. My main influential bands would be Infest , No Comment, Lärm , Dropdead , Kali , Repulsion ... These days I listen to a lot of post- punk ( Siekiera , Spectres , the Belicose Minds ) , to some minimal wave , a lot of 90's hip hop and Leonard Cohen.
Seb: I am really into sludge/doom/stoner rock, 90’s grindcore and old school death metal! Spazz, Grief and DRI are in my playlist for years now!

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
Cath: I study dietetics, and I 've always had an interest in food ... Cinema and retro video games.
Seb: Wrestling, eating, beer and cats

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I’m just going to name drop all the bands we are in, so check them out!
Khan, Albatros, Fistfuck, Rope, Dissed, Stephen Harper, Crust Benoit, Stoned Horses, Mighty Megalodon.




www.prcmusic.com

Look for us on Facebook Bandcamp Twitter
Join our mailing list here!

No comments:

Post a Comment