Friday, September 23, 2011

RU-486 Interview

1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
"RU-486 is a Power Electronics/Industrial project that sometimes strays into the harsh noise realm. It is a one man wrecking ball filled with anger, hate and disgust for a lot of humanity yet also a serious and fully realized vision of what I enjoy to do sonically."

2. What are some of the equipment that you use to create your sound?
"I will use just about anything to create a certain sound whether it be scrap metal, junk iron, corrugated items, contact mics, various pedals, motors, vibrators, drums, guitar, bass, voice, synth, circuit bent items, trash cans and so much more. I put no limits on what I use for sounds but scrap metal with a contact mic and distortion/delay running into a four track is what tickles my fancy the most."

3. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?
"RU-486 is the morning-after pill, used in terminating an early pregnancy. It is a brutal and violent process. I wanted a name that verbally meant what I felt towards what I gear my hatred towards, and that is humanity. I view the RU-486 pill as a tool for population control and wished it could be used on adults who are worthless as well. I hate the majority of people I come in contact with and thought the name itself in one word describes my ill feelings towards them. Thus, the decision to use that name. Though I am also heavily influenced from things such as large infrastructures, broken down industrial equipment, chemical plants at night, steel and iron. So it's not always such a negative output."

4. Have you had any oppurtunities to do any live shows yet, if so what are some of the best shows that you have played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
"I have played a decent handful of shows under the RU-486 moniker, as well as many others under different ones, mostly in Texas, being that the scene there is a strong and healthy one and we have a lot of close friends and colleagues in the noise scene there, and we also live a mere 6 hours drive from there. The best shows have been in Houston and Dallas, in my opinion. Always at least a decent turnout, decent merch sales and a hungry audience ready for sonic and physical violence during performances. A major salute to Richard Ramirez and the rest of my Texas family while I am on the subject. An RU-486 gig to a newcomer might seem too violent or aggressive, and the audience does get attacked and/or maimed at times, but this is necessary for me due to the cathartic relief I get from it. Where I live, there is no noise scene, only a tiny handful of us that support it and each other and I can count them all on literally, one hand. The "scene" here consists of myself, Hierchiss/Biological Girl, Churner/Violent Noise Atrocities, Goatlab and around the bend in Louisiana, our friends in Slaughter-Fetus/Human Ignorance. So, in closing about the live performance, what is released at gigs is a large amount of bottled aggression that has to be let out, or it would have a much MORE violent outcome."

5. What releases have you put out so far?
"Quite a few actually. At press time, for just my RU-486 project, I am about to have my 15th release, a C-77 minute cassette box set collection of all of my out of print short cassettes, unreleased stuff, compilation tracks and a few surprises/covers. It will be released on the great Texas label Disease Foundry (www.diseasefoundry.com) and will also contain a sticker, a button and a patch and the first 10 copies come in an oversized ammo box. As thy say, everything is bigger in Texas! Keep an eye out for that label too. He has some great releases and presentation. Another high note I am excited about is the Richard Ramirez/RU-486 split cassette reissue on LP version from Urashima in Italy."

6. What direction do you want to take your sound into on future releases?
"Although my roots for the project are in harsh noise/power electronics, I won't always limit myself to that. Newer recordings have showcased my love for and oldest musical influence within more industrial confines. I want to keep RU-486 fresh and try not to become too repetitious, which at times, I felt a bit stagnant. Though the newer material coming out this coming year is going to surprise some long time fans. A lot more structure and thought is put into the newer stuff and is more, composed, if you will."


7. Do you have any other projects besides this one?
"Haha, too many actually. I am the guitarist/songwriter in a 16+ year running Black Metal band called Octagon, a drummer in an old school Death Metal band called Wicked Stench, a member of infamous, 20+ year running noise band Black Leather Jesus, a member of Louisiana harsh noise band Slaughter-Fetus (alongside my girlfriend Hierchiss and two other members Vargrwulf and Bast, who also run the Human Ignorance label.) and also various electronic projects such as Mongrel, S.O.C.C. (with Churner), Linda Lovelace, Naked Girl Killed in the Park (with Richard Ramirez), Vicious Beast and some others. All are serious and active projects and NONE are throw away material to me. Each one is different from the next and each serve a paticular purpose which is needed in order to survive in this world. I do session work for multiple other bands as well."


8. How has your music been recieved by fans of noise and extreme music worldwide?
"Honestly, I have few dealings with negative reactions. Generally, at least what I get told, is that the people that listen to my work enjoy it. I'm sure there are plenty that do not, but that's ok. I'd rather have loyal, small groups of supporters than a bunch of idiots who don't get it. RU-486 fans seem the most loyal. I have made a lot of great friends all over the world through my dealings with the project and my label Destructive Industries and it continues to grow. And for that, I am very grateful."


9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
"I grew up in a very musical family and lived all over the world due to having a father in the military, so I was constantly exposed to different cultures, art and musical expressions. First, rock and roll, then punk then industrial then electronics and heavy metal and so on. It all still influences me to this day. I can say Kraftwerk is one of my biggest influences and still amazes me today. They were light years beyond everyone. They are just as influential to me as Darkthrone, Bathory, Hawkwind, C.C.C.C., Schimpfluch Gruppe/ Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock, Black Leather Jesus and many more. As of the recent year, been listening to more noise as usual, select Black Metal that I deem worthy like Funeral Mist, Katharsis, Clandestine Blaze, even Bloodbath, though that overtly produced style of Death Metal usually appalls me. On a not so extreme side, I still love Kraftwerk, Tom Waits, Diamanda Galas, Ulver, Bogus Blimp and so many more. I'm quite eclectic, really."


10. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
"Being into the things I have discussed, of course I am a bit nerdy. I love doing graphic design, which I have done hundreds of different layouts, advertisement, flyers as well as a large portion of the releases on my record label. I love it. I am really into art. Richard Ramirez took me to The Menil Art Gallery in Houston, TX really inspired me to get back into art more heavily than I used to be. I love the history of Dada and it's older as well as modern interpretation. I like adult fetish magazines. I collected them for years but now they're like paintings on the wall. I pass them everyday yet, sometimes I have to remind myself how beautiful they are by staring at them for hours. I don't really watch t.v. unless my girlfriend has it on Animal Planet, then I'm fascinated. I love silent films, European history, World War II, nature/animals, online music trading (the REAL thing, NOT downloading, which I am against.) and I dunno, just a lot of things really. I'm not a shallow person nor am I very vague. There's a lot there, I just don't advertise it because most of these things are just little hobbies that keep me sane when I am not making/creating/destroying something."


11. Any final words or thoughts beforwe we wrap up this interview?
"If anyone feels inclined to get in touch about RU-486 or my label Destructive Industries, please feel free to visit the site or email me (destructiveindustries@yahoo.com). Thanks a lot for the interview and support,. Hails to you and your 'zine.
www.destructiveindustries.net."

No comments:

Post a Comment